3/19/11

Lemon Creme Cake

This is the one of the most delicious cakes I have made. I have actually succumbed to Duncan Hines cake mixes after being humbled by my husbands philosphy of make it simple. I used to believe that if it isnt homemade it isnt worth my time but he told me to add a package of pudding to the cake mix and in a fit of laziness I listened. Also on the box it says to cook at 325 instead of 350 for darker pans and it produces a moist coarse crumb cake the equivalent to a cake made from scratch. I put on a layer of homemade lemon curd (recipe follows) with my homegrown/homemade blackberry jelly and then frost with a lemon cream. The lemon cream is 2 cups whipped cream with 1/4 cup powerdered sugar, thickened with a teaspoon of hot water/knox gelatin. Then after whipped, I fold in 1/1/3 cups homemade lemon curd. It is a fantastic cake.

Lemon Curd Recipe:
1/2 Cup Butter
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
Grated rind of two lemons
1 Cup Lemon Juice
8 Egg Yolks
2 Egg White
In double boiler melt butter and sugar.  Stir in lemon rind and juice.  Beat egg yolks and stir into lemon mixture: Beat egg whites and fold into mixture.  I had to put back into my kitchenAid mixer and remix.  Pour back into double boiler.  Stir constantly for 20 minutes until thickened.  Can pour into canning jars and seal following canning instructions on internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment